Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Guitars and Kanes

Ahh, the grand open post. The world truly is our oyster for blogposts such as these. An interesting guitar story happened to me this past weekend. Last week, I learned one of my favorite songs of all time. The song is Narcolepsy by Third Eye Blind. I hadn’t learned this song before now, since it called for a complete retuning of my guitar. I decided to bite the bullet and retune it, and I was pretty happy I did. I learned the song and got it down pretty well, since I didn’t want to go to the trouble of re-retuning my guitar. Then, on Saturday, I was rocking out pretty hard and broke my third from bottom string. This is the first time I’d broken a string since obtaining my guitar this summer, so it was kind of a momentous event. I luckily had a spare set of strings, and I proceeded to switch the strings on my guitar. I started from the bottom, and replaced the first two strings. Then, working on the third string, it snapped. This was the same string that I broke in the first place, so I didn’t have any sort of replacement string. I thought I was in quite the predicament. Luckily there was still enough of the new string to make it work and the rest of the string replacement went off without a hitch. The new strings are all on, and they sound great.

This week, in my film class, we watched Citizen Kane. This movie is regarded by many as the greatest American film of all time. I had never seen the entire film before and I was a little unsure what to expect. After viewing it though, I was quite impressed. The story was interesting and the cinematography was outstanding. It really was a beautiful film. Upon immediate viewing I wasn’t too impressed with the film, but thinking about it afterwards really let the movie grow on me. It’s quite impressive the amount of art and thought that was put into a film like this over 60 years ago. If you get the chance, I recommend this film. Even if you don’t hold it in as high of a regard as others, it’s still a large piece of cinematic history.

2 comments:

Becky said...

I used to play guitar but never broke s tring so I never had to replace them. I heard its kind of hard. Its also really like the Third Eye Blind song you learned how to play. Sometimes I wish I still played, maybe I'll start again.

Staci said...

I have a friend who recently learned how to play a Third Eye Blind song for me on my last birthday-I always liked the band. I amend you, I hear it's a challenge!