Monday, April 30, 2007

Bio Mapping and Mobile Landscapes

Today we read an online article discussing “Bio Mapping.” This involves the user to record their emotional arousal coming from their environment. It could be used to see how different environments affect people. I thought this idea was truly interesting. Could we possibly relate this to places and non-places. It would seem that a non-place would be much less stimulating than a place. For instance, I’m much less emotionally involved on the bus than I am say, at a concert. This article also made me think of another article I’d read concerning video games. A new company uses “biofeedback” to interpret brain waves of users. The users concentration is evident in the game. For example, only those people who showed much concentration, would be able to sink a put in a golf game. I find it amazing that our technology has progressed to the stage where we can pick up our own thoughts. Some day will we be able to install chips, which allow us to send thoughts to each other. Maybe we’ll even be able to move objects with our minds.

We also read an article titled “Mobile Landscape.” This article discussed being able to track all of the cell phones used in a city. Then, we’d be able to graphically represent every cell phone, and see the city as an almost pulsating life form. This idea is a bit scary to me. I don’t much like the idea that someone can know exactly where I am or what I’m doing at any time. It seems that as our technology becomes more advanced we give up more of our freedom. Today, we may be giving up our location because of our cell phones, and perhaps tomorrow, we’ll be giving up our thoughts.

No comments: