Monday, April 16, 2007

Lost in Translation

I’ve seen the film Lost in Translation once before, and remember I wasn’t too impressed. I had the complete opposite opinion after watching most of it in class last Thursday. First off, the movie is hilarious. Bill Murray is definitely one of my favorite actors. He’s the kind of guy that can make you laugh merely by standing in one place. He has a very comical way about him. I thought the way the film plays with different kinds of communication is also very humorous and interesting. The scene where Bob is doing the commercial is one of these. The director seems to say a paragraph of information to Bob, but the translator then says only a few words. While this was very comical, it also made me wonder if there was any truth to this. Is Japanese really much more long-winded than English, or was the translator merely summarizing the directors instructions? Another interesting form of communication occurred between Bob and his wife. I liked how she would write him letters. It would seem calling would be a much more personal and time-efficient form of communication, yet she chooses written words. It’s also funny when she sends him carpet samples. I wouldn’t think this would be important enough to send overseas. The use of “I love you” also intrigued me in this movie. Multiple times, people say it to Charlotte and she doesn’t give a response. Then, Bob says it to his wife, yet doesn’t get a response. Perhaps this says something about the whimsical nature of being young, and the conversely realizing that what you have could slip away at any time when you’re older. This is definitely a humorous film, which also has many interesting ideas about communication.

3 comments:

Liz P. said...

I also didn't like the movie the first time I saw it but I enjoyed it this time! What did you think about the ending the first time? I hated it at first, but now I realize that not really having an ending goes along with the rest of the film.

Jon said...

I never realized the meaninglessness o the words "I love you," but I think you are exactly right.

Non places and places, bla bla. What about non-words and phrases?

When we see people on the street, sometimes we say "what's up" AS we walk by, not even waiting for the answer. What is the logic in that?

Those must be non-words.

Becky said...

I also never realized that there was nothing behind the words "I love you" in the movie. Its interesting to analyze the movie as maybe a non-place, but what jon said "non-words." I never really thought about it that way.